The donkey in convict’s suit

In a zoo in Gaza, two donkeys were given a dye job... ummm... to make them look like zebras. Well, look here for details, if you’d need some kind of proof.

Believe me now? You just can’t make this stuff up, can you?

What may be the reason for all this... err... fuss, you ask?

They wanted to show their children how a zebra looks like. You cannot get the animal in Asia, which is found mostly, if not only, in Africa. On top of that, they are expensive and Gaza’s Palestinians are impoverished. A genuine zebra would have been too expensive to bring into the Israel-blockaded Gaza via smuggling tunnels under the border with Egypt.

Rather sad, if you look at it this way, but- if you ask me- it STILL does not make it right.

Poverty is cruel and sad.... but I would still prefer you to not take the path of deceit. I understand that for the children, it was fun of sort sorts, but playing with their trust, saying that it was a zebra they were looking at while it was actually a donkey, is something I just could not justify.... maybe it’s just me.

And also did you think what those zebras went through being taped all over in masking tapes and dyed with a paint brush using women’s hair colour?

I think that there are some things that should be left to only the willing humans. Please spare the animals, will you?

What do you think?

0 comments:

Post a Comment